Thursday, December 20, 2007

Meet Etsy Seamstress: monsterbugblankets


Jennifer is the hardworking Mom and talent behind MonsterBugBlankets. She has been married for 11 years and has two children —Bug, 3, and Monster, 1. Although she just started sewing in 2000 when her husband bought her a sewing machine, she fell in love with the craft quickly. She started out making skirts for herself and soon progressed into costumes for the kindergarten class she taught. When she learned she was expecting her first child she looked for the perfect bedding. "I searched high and low, and nothing was right for me. So I made (Bug) a quilt," she explains. Then it was onto flannel blankets and what she calls "Tag Blankets." She soon began making blankets for friends' babies and by the time Monster arrived she was hooked. Her ecclectic style has been a Godsend for parents. "I like making blankets that are a bit different than what everyone else has. Not all pink and blue, with teddy bears and bunnies...I figure I can't be the only one who gets tired of all the pastels and primary colors not working with the décor of their home." Thus MonsterBug Blankets was born.
Other creative people inspire Jennifer in her craft. "Their ideas are so amazing. I think about the details of their work, and often new, lovely thoughts come into my head for items I can make," she confesses. "Their creativity fuels my creativity."
Etsy is a hobby for the busy homemaker - she makes her family her priority. "MonsterBug Blankets is a creative outlet for me." She hopes to make enough sales through Etsy and craft shows to afford an embroidery machine. She realizes that in order for Etsy to be lucrative it takes a lot of time, effort, money, and hard work - often more than expected. "Promote on AND OFF Etsy," she advises.

Please check out her Etsy shop: http://monsterbugblankets.etsy.com/

-Wendy Baylis

Dharma Designs

1 comment:

Dharma Designs said...

I love the pear blanket - it's so classy and modern. :-)