Monday, December 3, 2007

Meet Etsy Artist: ScaryWhiteGirl

The artist Etsians know as ScaryWhiteGirl was born and raised in the Midwest, "and recently made the exodus to Seattle, WA." Her mother was an avid crafter, "and she taught me how to make a lot of the things I do now. I learned to crochet almost four years ago, and became obsessed with that quickly." She aims to make "practical but attractive crocheted items," but admits to making some just for fun. "My theory is that if you need to have cold weather gear, it might as well look nice as well as being practical." She's been selling her unique wares for three years. "This is most definitely a hobby for me. I do most of my crafting while I watch TV or movies, because I have a hard time just watching a movie and doing nothing else--to me, it seems like a waste of perfectly good time." In her first year with Etsy she's made just over 80 sales. "I'm hoping to hit 100 by the end of the year, and I'd love to hit 200 or 250 by the end of next year. In the short term, however, I'm working on a new line of items which will launch in January (hopefully), and I'm always working on improving my photos." She advises her fellow sellers, "Be sure to keep yourself seen, one way or another. List regularly, participate in the forums, talk about your shop in your blog. Just make sure that anyone who stumbles across your online presence will know about your shop and what you sell. But most importantly, do what works for you, and don't let your shop make you miserable. If you need a break for a few days, take it." Check out her shop: http://scarywhitegirl.etsy.com/
-Wendy Baylis
Dharma Designs
http://dharmadesigns.etsy.com

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Thanks for the feature! :)

Dharma Designs said...

My pleasure! :-)

Beth Lisa Goss, Wire Tree said...

Awesome Dawn! That purse looks great!

katy said...

"scarywhitegirl" by title only, as Dawn is one of the nicest crafters around!

Dharma Designs said...

I agree with Katy - Dawn isn't scary at all in real life. Instead she's a GREAT person whom I adore! :-)

Unknown said...

Awesome. I heart Dawn! Best shop name ever!