Saturday, December 1, 2007

Meet Etsy Beader and Artist: VanillaLotus


This year the young talent behind VanillaLotus finds herself in Texas. She's been on a whirlwind journey across the US (New Hampshire, Maine, and Arizona to name a few) and is happy to finally plant roots, although she still dreams of living abroad in Europe. She recently married - and welcomed an adorable puppy into the family.

VanillaLotus has always been crafty. She started with the basics and quickly advanced to a myriad of arts. In 2005 she began art school, majoring in graphic design. After only a few classes she realized it was not what she wanted to do with her talent. Her passion lies in studio art, something she can craft with her hands.

She has created beautiful beaded jewelry over the years, but most recently taught herself how to knit and crochet, which helped her decide to create stitch markers. "I originally just wanted to make some stitch markers for myself," she confesses. "What was available (in stores were) lobster clasps and I didn't like how they weighed down my work." Thus an idea was born.

Her self-described style is simple and balanced. "I have a hard time being elaborate and outgoing with my crafts. So what you see is what I am."

Since opening her Etsy shop in May of 2007, VanillaLotus has strived to reach 1000 hearts and 1000 sales. "I'll die the day that happens," she jokes. "I never thought I would get to 56 items sold, so I feel like I have accomplished a goal."

She advises her fellow artists to keep their heads up. "Too many Etsians come in thinking people will want what they are selling the second they put it up. It takes everyone some time and money to get established If you don't put the effort don't expect anything to happen. Make a daily goal and a daily promotion list. Everyday I list at least one item and go on the forums. You will have to promote yourself and not rely on Etsy to do that for you. If you don't list and promote no one will see you so no one will buy anything." Please visit her Etsy shop: http://vanillalotus.etsy.com/


-Wendy Baylis

Dharma Designs

No comments: