Monday, December 3, 2007

Meet Etsy Seamstress & Artist: BeckyKayDesigns


Becky Kay and her husband have a four year old son, who "keeps (them) very busy. He never stops talking and likes to make up documentaries about sharks and dinosaurs." Aside from being a busy Mom and wife, Becky has been hand sewing boutique style purses for two years. "I absolutely cannot sit still and like to keep my hands and/or mind busy all the time. I come from a family of crafters, so I guess it is in my blood. My mother, sister, sister-in-law and I all participate in craft shows together. In fact, we are opening another Etsy shop together called She Made It! (We just need to get our stuff photographed and listed." She describes her purses as quite simple and functional. "I'm not a big fan of all the frou-frou stuff. Where I go nuts, is on the fabric! I love bright, bold patterns and playing with color combinations." She also

plans to try needle felting. She does Etsy because she "loves it, but also treats it as a business." While it's not currently her full-time job, she hopes to make Etsy her career. "I would love to have consistent sales," she admits. "My immediate goal would be to get up to about five sales a week and just increase from there." She advises her fellow Etsy sellers "promote, promote, promote! Etsy is not a place where you can list your stuff, and then sit back and wait for it to sell. You have to let the world know that you are out there." Please check out her shop: http://beckykaydesigns.etsy.com/

-Wendy Baylis

Dharma Designs

No comments: