Monday, January 19, 2009

Meet Etsy Metalsmith & Jewelry Artist: julsilver

I found today's artist while searching for Buddha earrings. From the moment I saw these I knew I HAD to have them. Believe it or not they are even more gorgeous "in person." I was stunned to discover I was her first Etsy purchase. I absolutely love these earrings and will treasure them always...

Aside from being an artist, Laura Bellows is an anthropologist "re-inventing." She became interested in Buddhism and Hinduism while doing fieldwork for her PhD in Bali, Indonesia. Much of her work is inspired by the wonderful cultures and people she encountered abroad. "I am still really interested in the meanings and intellectual problems I dealt with as a researcher," she admits. "I seek to bring this into my work as much as possible, even to the point of including words or texts that I find fascinating, or which simply contain things I feel I have to say." While she makes many pieces her self, she actually makes a living by designing pieces that can be made in Bali via a Fair Trade model - and sold wholesale to various shops. "These practical things are part of what I do and reflect my interest in making useful items that are not disposable, are produced ethically and also beautiful." She also teaches the casting process out of her own studio, which enables beginners to learn the basics of wax working. Please check out her shop: http://julsilver.etsy.com/
-Wendy Baylis
Dharma Designs

No comments: