Saturday, January 17, 2009

Meet Etsy Artist: schmooks

Artist Claire describes herself as "an illustrator and graphic designer." She has always wanted to be an artist and studied creative subjects throughout school including finishing her degree in Graphic Design at the University of Canberra. She has a 19 month old son and another on the way, but still manages to work part time and find a way to pursue her art. She recently finished illustrating a children's book and plans to do a few more. Like many artists, her inspiration comes from the world around her. "I do a lot of collecting of magazines, photographs, images etc. - anything I like the look of, or gives me an idea," she admits. "I never really plan what I am going to illustrate." Usually she prefers to just play with an idea and see where it takes her. So far her fun and quirky designs have been a success. "I get tingles knowing that my work is sitting in someone else’s home on the other side of the world," she says. Etsy has been a great way to connect with other artists and she recommends, "design for yourself and everything will fall into place – and if it doesn’t who cares, as long as you’re having a great time." Please check out her shop: http://schmooks.etsy.com/

-Wendy Baylis

Dharma Designs

http://dharmadesigns.etsy.com/

No comments: