Thursday, April 24, 2008

Meet Etsy Jewelry Artist: lindsaykristine

Lindsay is a Detroit artist with an MFA in Sculpture, although for the last few months she has specialized in modern jewelry. "I was trained as a bench jeweler a few years back," she explains, "and really enjoyed the small scale-- so different from sculpture. I also really enjoy making things that people will enjoy wearing- you could say the functional nature of craft delights me." Aside from Etsy she also teaches sculpture and design at a local university and works at a museum. "I feel fortunate to be working in the arts, surrounded by artists and those who appreciate the arts," she says. Her inspiration often comes from her surroundings. "I'm inspired by the texture and color of different materials. I usually respond to the materials first, then create the design." Like me, Asian design is a big influence - as well as art deco and minimalism. "I'm forever inspired by the beautiful and innovative designs of the folks here on Etsy," she admits. Her clean, simple designs often include an element of copper or moving pieces - "and a little wabi-sabi never hurt, so small flaws are expected and honored." Please check out her shop: http://lindsaykristine.etsy.com/

-Wendy Baylis
Dharma Designs

No comments: