Monday, March 16, 2009

Meet Etsy Artist: sweptfromthesea

Like me, Canadian jewelry artist Cheri Bourque, has Fibromyalgia. "It has been my best friend and worst enemy for 12 years," she says. "It is my best friend (when) it makes me get things done ASAP because I never know what tomorrow will bring. It is my worst enemy (when) my tomorrows are filled with pain and fatigue," she explains. Instead of giving up or giving in, she pushes through and manages to follow her heart, creating simple modern jewelry from beach glass. Much of her inspiration comes from the West Coast. "I haven't always lived in Victoria. I grew up in Northern Ontario next to Lake Superior (also very beautiful), but I always wished that I lived near the ocean." Now only half a block away from the beach, she doesn't take it for granted. "I design what I want to wear," she admits. Although she has been a crafter for quite some time, she started Swept From The Sea Designs professionally 3 years ago. "I owe my crafting addiction to my mother who introduced me to crocheting 15 years ago," she jokes. "Running an online business takes time and requires tons of patience. I find that advertising outside of Etsy the key to making progress." Please check out her shop: http://sweptfromthesea.etsy.com/ and website: http://sweptfromtheseadesigns.com/

-Wendy Baylis
Dharma Designs

No comments: