Monday, March 9, 2009

Meet Etsy Artist: NotJustaVase

Four years ago Brian remodeled the bathroom and decided to paint art for the walls. "I ended up painting three canvases that I was really excited about," he says. That planted the seed for his foray into painting and digital art - and few weeks ago he opened his Etsy shop after a friend recommended the site. "I have always been interested in using my creativity," he admits. "I have spent the bulk of my adult life working in retail as a visual merchandiser." He has also been an avid photographer and began playing with Photoshop a few years ago. "All of this is like evolution and it leads me into this phase of my life." He finds a lot of inspiration in mid-century design. "There is so much from that era that I absolutely love: architecture, graphic design, interior design, fashion, and the advances in technology also shaped so much of the design aspects," he explains. "I like the clean and simple lines represented with this era of design. I also think that Asian influenced art is a great compliment to this. Especially the bold rich colors." Still working full time as a merchandiser, he follows his artistic passions on his time off. "It is a hobby now, but eventually I hope to make it more...I am getting my feet wet with Etsy and long term I hope to open a little boutique to sell my art along with vintage items, small home accessories, and tabletop items." He reminds us all to "believe in (ourselves) and (our) art." Please check out his shop: http://notjustavase.etsy.com/

-Wendy Baylis
Dharma Designs

No comments: