Thursday, March 5, 2009

Meet Etsy Artist & Potter: SynapseArtworks

The artist behind the hip Etsy shop SynapseArtworks is a 28 year old Salt Lake City potter and illustrator. Brian graduated in 2003 from the University of Wisconsin - Madison with a BFA, majoring in Philosophy. "I haven't been able to produce much art in the last two years since I recently took a job working and studying in the field of ocularistry," he explains of his time consuming job making prosthetic eyes. "It's a crazy, wonderful job I never anticipated falling into, which only about 120 other people in the country do." His shop may not be filled to the brim yet, but his modern take on a sake set struck my fancy right away. He hopes to have a studio up and running soon, where he'll focus on designing functional ceramics. "My more conceptual work, which is very time consuming and fussy, I show at Artisan Gallery in Paoli, WI," he says. "This is mostly inspired by art history and aesthetic theory. On Etsy, I tend to showcase my more functional ceramics work like teapots and sake sets, as well as t-shirts which I do just for entertainment and the fun of graphic design." He hopes to blend the screen printing he uses in his T-shirts with the ceramics in the near future. He describes his style as "tight, tidy, and often geometrical." Influenced by minimalism, his designs often showcase clean modern lines and geometric shapes. "I love all kinds of beverages, and hope to create vessels that elevate their consumption to a more conscious aesthetic experience; one in which there is an interplay between the subtleties of the drink and the art, each complimenting the other." Although his art is not his main source of income he does take it seriously and treats it as a second job. "You can check out http://synapseartworks.blogspot.com/, my horrendously un-updated blog for additional info," he jokes. Please check out his shop: http://synapseartworks.etsy.com/

-Wendy Baylis
Dharma Designs

No comments: