Friday, August 22, 2008

Meet Etsy Metalsmith and Jewelry Artist: jenkahn

Jennifer Kahn "always thought (she) was born in the wrong time. Then PMC (Precious Metal Clay) came along and (she) knew (she) was right where (she) belonged." She graduated from the University of Vermont with a BA in Art and English in 2001. During her senior year she worked at Frog Hollow Gallery, where she met renowned artist Celie Fago. "I took one of her classes, then became her apprentice and by the time I graduated, I knew that I was serious about PMC. I moved to Celie’s, as a live-in apprentice, learning PMC and metalsmithing. I’m also her teaching assistant and I get to accompany her in her travels around the country and abroad." She has sold her work at craft shows and galleries across Vermont and has also been featured in National and International exhibits. "I love what I do and I no longer feel like I’m in the wrong time," she admits. "I feel so lucky to be here, now." She has been creating her tribal designs for seven years. "I try to put a contemporary spin on ancient designs, as I’m influenced by both ethnic artifacts and current fashion trends. I’m fascinated by the way things are put together: patched, hinged, riveted, stitched and often incorporate such connections in my pieces...I’m constantly trying to fuse old and new, industrial and natural, urban and ethnic." Aside from design, she also focuses on the craftsmanship of her pieces. "The back must be as compelling as the front. For that reason most of my pendants and necklaces are reversible." Comfort is also key. "Rings must be smooth inside and earrings must not be too heavy." Please check out her shop: http://jenkahn.etsy.com/

-Wendy Baylis
Dharma Designs

No comments: