Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Meet Etsy Potter & Artist: LureArts

Although Pam began her artistic career while studying at a university, she fell in love with clay the first moment she sat in front of a potter's wheel. Now a full-time highschool art teacher, she enjoys creating textured dinnerware, which includes sushi and dinner plates, olive trays, coffee mugs - even stemless wine glasses. She loves the wheel, but handcrafts many pieces as well. "I am addicted to making bowls and have a kitchen full of them to prove it," she jokes. "My pottery is meant to be used, but still be beautiful. I secretly think that my bowls have souls and personalities," she admits. "They want to be useful and share the joy in your life." From her home studio she mixes her own glazes and fires her own pieces, but "when there is 'down time' in my pottery production, I still enjoy picking up my paintbrushes." Spoken like a true artist. She finds inspiration in the ornate designs of the Rococo and Baroque periods - and Japanese pottery, "especially their earthy color schemes and asymmetrical tea bowls." Sometimes she even combines eastern and western sensibilities in her pottery. Most recently she has started a ceramic jewelry line, integrating the colors and textures from her handmade wares. She also plans to expand into ceramic clocks. "I use Etsy to hone my craft. The best thing that I did on Etsy is join the EMT (Etsy Mud Team). I highly recommend other Etsians to find a team that they can connect with." Please check out her shops: Pottery: http://lurearts.etsy.com/ Paintings: http://lure.etsy.com
-Wendy Baylis
Dharma Designs
http://dharmadesigns.etsy.com/

5 comments:

Bijoutery said...

LOVE pottery and am always glad to find more Etsy ceramic artisans :)

Dharma Designs said...

I love it, too! Wish I knew how...

OMB said...

Nice feature. I love her pottery.

Infinite Cosmos said...

Great interview! I want to learn to make pottery one day.

Anonymous said...

Nice interview!