Saturday, February 23, 2008

Kathmandu Cafe will re-open next weekend...

The dictionary may describe momos as "Himalayan dumplings similar to potstickers," but I call them little bundles of nirvana. At least they are when Kirpa Tamang makes them! He runs the Kathmandu Cafe food stall at the Portland Saturday Market foodcourt, March through December 24th. I go EVERY Sunday for the Tour of Asia (momos, curried potatos & green beans, chicken vindaloo, rice, and lentils) and a cup or two of his handmade chai. Mmm! I am constantly amazed at what he can do with just a camp stove and tent. I've been going through withdrawls the last two months without my momos, but next weekend the market will open again. If you're in the Portland, Oregon area the Saturday Market opens March 1 and is open both Saturdays and Sunday through December 24th.

-Wendy Baylis
Dharma Designs

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Those look so good my tummy actually started grumbling just looking at the picture. they sound devine as well. Have a few for me since I'm a little too far away to make it!

Rosebud Collection said...

Wow, they look so delicious..
I was so disappointed when I realized you are in Portland, Oregon and not Portland, Maine..darn.

Dharma Designs said...

Thanks! I'll be sure to chow down! :-)

missknits said...

ooo those look delicious!!

Dharma Designs said...

They're wonderful! I forgot to mention they are filled with lamb, ginger, and spices. Mmm!

Field Notes said...

Good to know!! The last best pot sticker style gizmos I had were from a Tibetan place in Paris. Spinach stuffing. Oh they were to die for.

I will check out his stall next time I'm at the Sat. market... though I'd have to pry myself away from the Ethiopean samboosa place.

Dharma Designs said...

The Horn of Africa is my other favorite! I love the chicken with chili sauce over the cardamom rice. Mmm! They have a restaurant, too, so I always go for Kathmandu Cafe since he only has the market stall. :-)

Retro Grandma said...

I love your blog...it looks awesome!
http://retrograndma.blogspot.com
http://www.retrograndma.etsy.com

Anonymous said...

Oh Yes!! I too am excited for Saturday market food. My first ever job was working on Saturdays at the market serving falafel at Marilyn's Souvlaki - long, long ago. I love to eat the avocado sandwich on homemade bread with homemade salsa and sprouts but I can't remember the name of the booth that serves it.

Dharma Designs said...

Thanks Retro!

Amelia - I love souvlaki! I'll have to check that out if I can ever tear myself away from the momos. :-)

Anonymous said...

The souvlaki stand is now named Angelina's Greek Cuizina. They serve the best gyro I've ever had. Mmmm, so good! Can't wait to eat one this weekend.