Saturday, February 2, 2008

Meet Etsy Metalsmith & Jewelry Artist: MangoTango

Bev proudly declares that "a chance visit to a dollhouse shop in the Cotswolds many years ago turned out to be a collision with destiny for me. I was instantly and completely besotted with the tiny world I saw." She quickly began creating 1/12th scale plants and flowers, honing her skills over the next 17 years. "Decades later I discovered the joy of creating my own jewelry and a much larger, though no less detailed, world opened up for me -- to my enormous delight," she jokes. She displays the same attention to detail and love of nature in her ecclectic jewelry as she does in her scale miniatures. She is a Certified PMC Artisan, member of the International Guild of Miniature Artisans; and proud member of Etsylux, the Art Jewelry Collective (AJC), and SRAJD. Six months ago she began experimenting with glass fusing and often incorporates her new talent into her jewelry designs. "I also love 'message' jewelry," she admits, "pieces that contain text involving emotions and things we all hold near and dear." She rarely designs her pieces ahead of time. "I let my hands do what they want to do on any given day." While her pieces are too labor intensive to create and sell on a mass scale, knowing her work is appreciated enough for someone to own one is enough. "To me, the pieces I create are my legacy, my immortality," she explains. She reccomends fellow Etsians "make sure your photos are top-notch. It's difficult to sell to people who can't hold your pieces and examine them from every angle, so you have to let your photos do the selling for you." Please check out her shop: http://mangotango.etsy.com/

-Wendy Baylis
Dharma Designs

No comments: