Thursday, March 6, 2008

Meet Etsy Potter: StarksPots

It seems women artists far outnumber men on Etsy, but I have found a few more to feature here on my blog...

Ben Stark recently graduated college where he majored in history, but "spent far more time and effort in (his) elective ceramics classes." While he has been creating pottery since high school, he didn't create his own unique style until his later years of college. He hopes to one day turn his passion into a career, but for now has to work a regular 9:00-5:00 job like most struggling artists. "I am inspired by classic forms of functional wares, and am drawn to Asian pottery, as well as many contemporary American potters," he explains. "I want my work to be functional while at the same time a piece of art. To me, my pieces need to be used to be fully appreciated." His goal is "not to have Etsy support me, but I would like it to support my operating costs for making my wares." He offers sage advice he learned from fellow Etsians: "stick with it, and don't let sales determine self-worth. Become a part of a group or team, the camaraderie is invaluable." Please check out his shop: http://starkspots.etsy.com/
-Wendy Baylis
Dharma Designs

5 comments:

Ben Stark said...

Thank you so much Wendy!

Mary said...

I really like the work shown here and the rest of your blog! It is great to find out a bit more about my fellow etsy sellers!

Dharma Designs said...

My pleasure Ben!

Whitney said...

Pretty pot! Is there any way i can be featured on here?

Dharma Designs said...

Sure - drop me a convo. :-)