Monday, March 10, 2008

Meet Etsy Photographer: JaredKS

Aside from being an excellent photographer - something he's enjoyed since he was eight - Jared is a math teacher from northeast Kansas. His inspiration comes from natural beauty - which he often finds in his own surroundings. "I love to explore the natural world and look to find the unending number of beautiful things that are all around us, all the time." He also finds beauty in music, books, films, and people. "It's everywhere." He describes his style as "endless experimentation and occasional success," but I think he's a little too hard on himself. His photos take on an ethereal beauty that speaks volumes while lending a peaceful solitude at the same time. Dynamic, just like Jared. "I have a lot of creative outlets that I tend to bounce back and forth from," he explains. "For a number of years, I would only shoot two or three rolls of film per year. Digital photography has opened the door for me to take thousands of photographs, whenever I feel inclined to do so. It's been a real blessing." So has his insightful photos. "Whenever I notice myself thinking of (my art) like a job, I try to take a step back," he admits. "I personally find my photographs less interesting when financial thoughts start to creep in while I'm shooting. I have a lot more success when I'm just creating for creation's sake." He'd like to remind his fellow Etsy artists to always "have fun and do what you love. Set your prices where you're comfortable, even though some will say they're too high and others will say they're too low. Try to post on the forums at least a little bit each week - the community aspect of Etsy is one of its greatest features." Please check out his shop: http://jaredks.etsy.com/

-Wendy Baylis
Dharma Designs

12 comments:

woolies said...

love jared's work!!

Nnairda's said...

Beautiful!

Caroline said...

I love Jared's work, too! Have from my first day at Etsy. He's an inspiration! And so nice, too. :)

SEWphisticate said...

oh, i love jared's work! he was the first etsy photographer i hearted. his avatar is amazing! thank you for sharing a little more about him and his work with us.

capitolagirl said...

Great article Wendy, Jared's photos are really great!

High Desert Diva said...

I love his sunset dandelion photo

Jared May said...

Thanks all you nice people. :)


And thanks to you, Wendy, for the wonderful feature. :)

andrea said...

I'm a jared fan too. His work is amazing and you captured it's essence perfectly.

Dharma Designs said...

My pleasure Jared! :-)

Becca said...

Wow, great article, I'm off to check out jared's shop. And I love your blog :)

Dharma Designs said...

THANKS Becca!

Anonymous said...

Great interview!