Friday, March 7, 2008

Meet Etsy Photographer & Artist: Eddyizm

Eddy prefers to remain mysterious, but realizes "that gets old fast," so he reluctantly granted me an interview. "I'm terribly anti social and favor activities that can be done alone, be it hiking, reading, or photographing," he admits. "As a photographer, I like to let my photos do the talking. Some speak volumes, others are as striking and pointed as a 4 letter word." This is what drew me to his work. Oddly enough, though - I found him to be eloquent and moving, and wonder what he'd be like as a writer. Hopefully he'll indulge me some day. He finds inspiration in life and his surroundings, "seeing, smelling, so much in the world gets passed by." Even death inspires him. "I think, what will I leave behind when i am gone? A record of my sights, a history, a look into the window that was my life?" He describes his style as a "skewed perception and an art of interpretation" and his art often reflects his personal interests, "from the dirty grimy textures of a 100 year old building to the burning red sunset that has been seen since the beginning of time." Right now photography is a hobby - one that "soothes my soul. As soon as it becomes a job, a real job, I'll quit," he jokes. "It takes time to get your shop in order and have sales come in. The more sellers there are, the more desperate and hopeless it may seem," he says, "but more sellers...bring more buyers! In the end, you gotta do it because you love it - that's what handmade is all about." Please check out his shop: http://eddyizm.etsy.com/

-Wendy Baylis
Dharma Designs

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love his statement that when his photography becomes a job he will quit lol! That shows he has true passion in his soul for the work he does and does not see it as work at all. Great feature :)

Dharma Designs said...

Thanks Chucka!

Callooh Callay said...

Interesting interview, and I love the photo chosen--"skewed" but beautiful.