Monday, November 17, 2008

Meet Etsy Jewelry Artist: SkylarkStudio

Karen lives in the "heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country...It's pretty wild (seriously!)." She's been a textbook example of a librarian for an Art History department at her local college for the last several years. "I spent my days looking at thousands of pictures of art. It was inspiring if not overwhelming at times," she explains. In contrast, she has also commuted to New York to work with several design firms. "(I'd) wake up with the cows, then (be) on the subway by 9:00 am. It was too much." She finds inspiration in "classic timeless patterns, motifs, subjects - things that don't go out of style...I love looking at design magazines from years past to see what was a fad and what was a classic." Living in a rural area, she is also inspired by a group of fellow artists. "We're determined to be successful even though we live on the outskirts of where it's all 'happening.'" she jokes. "We all really believe in trying to stay true to yourself and your talents without being part of the elite style machine." Working primarily with sterling silver, she creates chic contemporary designs that often have an ethnic feel. "I really want my pieces to last and be worn for years...I like things that look stark and tough but a little fancy at the same time." She started metalwork in high school, but didn't really focus on her craft until last year. "I'm giving this a go as my job right now, we'll see if it takes off," she laughs. "I really love Etsy, the whole concept of it is really amazing. I'd like to get more involved in the forums, talking to other crafters and getting advice and moral support. I love doing location searches for my area, there are so many crafters hiding out in the country!" Currently she's working on a cohesive theme for her shop, which includes complementary packaging, banners, business cards, etc. "I think (B&M) stores might be more willing to sell your product if they see you've really thought it through," she advises. Please check out her shop: http://skylarkstudio.etsy.com/

-Wendy Baylis
Dharma Designs

No comments: